What in the world is THAT?II?I


All right all right you speed bloggers, I don't know how you guys get your posts up so quick when there is so much shopping to do! But I'm now finally putting up the pics from our trip to Arizona for Thanksgiving. And let me tell you about the big piece of green, mushy, meaty, piece of goodness in the picture above. It's a traditional Tongan dish called "LUPULU". At the Niu household, they don't usually do turkey, they do pork and Lupulu and other stuff. This year we tried cooking the turkey in addition but Philip didn't do something right because the thing was still gobbling when we pulled it out of the ground!

My father-in-law, Paul (who grew up in Tonga), was so great to teach me the process. Lupulu is made of taro leaves, corned beef, veggies, and then soaked in coconut milk. We then wrapped it in foil then placed it in the ground to cook. I cannot believe how incredibly disgusting this picture looks because I'm tellin' ya, this stuff is good! With Liv having the Polynesian blood in her, she loved it (although she did poop green for days :-)

Hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving!




















12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, that looks...uh....yummy! I'm so jealous you got to go to Arizona!!! We love you guys!

Jessica Law said...

Miss,
I feel so Christmasy reading and listening to your blog. I am very jealous of your Thanksgiving feast, we LOVED the food at your wedding and I am sure that the same cooks were involved! You are also making me miss AZ so stop that. I am sorry we couldn't invade your intimate family time and eat all of your food at the pool. We'll have to hit the next one. I did update my blog just for you. Talk with you soon babe.

Oh, and tell Phil there is now almost no gap to be seen at all. WEIRD!

Heidi said...

Wow that really does look like poop! Glad to hear it is much more appetizing than it looks...

Tiff and Dan said...

I bet Dan would've loved to eat that food for thanksgiving. I don't really like it. How is Boise? email me sometime...tiffclark1@gmail.com. We'll be up in Boise for christmas. What are you guys doing? We need to meet up for sure!

Hillary Garner said...

Great pictures! What a fun family and fun traditions! We'll see you at the BINGO party!

shawna said...

too funny...only a mama will talk about her child's poop in such a, how you you say it...endearing way. looks like you had a great thanksgiving. ours was also great, but hard since it's our first holiday without gramma (she passed away late oct.) but in all, we had a great day AND i hogged that baby all day, so no complaints out of me :)

shawna said...

ps ~ you should totally watch that video but grab a tissue. it's so precious!

Logan and Lisa said...

It looks like you guys had so much fun for Thanksgiving. We will be seeing you guys at the bingo party, I think Logan might actually be able to go this year.

Ang said...

Sick! You can't tell me that thing tasted good. I love that you loved it though. Thanksgiving in warmness... must have been nice.

Alicia and Daniel said...

It didn't look good but it sounded good...my boys ate chocolate cake and pooped BLUE for three days it was really weird...we miss you guys and come on, you should have all your shopping done by now!!!

The Richins Family said...

oh that food is yummy. suzie and paul made it for our ward luau last year or the year before. it looked nasty but i trust their cooking. it was so good!

Kristi said...

That really is the best food ever!
Your turkey story cracks me up, cuz our turkey did not turn out either! We had a vegetarian Thanksgiving this year! Oh, letting you know we added you guys to our site too.! Love ya

Blog Archive