There is no cuter kid...


...than the little man we used to call Thomas, T, Schmee, T-man, Schmeeth, Thomas J, Shmeethers, Uncle Layne, and now Quayne.

I love birthday times for blogging because it gives me an opportunity to look through old pics. Layne had too many fabulous hilarious pictures to choose from. So I chose some that totally ring true to what I picture when I think of Layne.

So lets just take a moment to tell you about Layne. My younger brother is THE man. No, I'm serious. He is the coolest cat. He came into our family when I was about five years old and I was so pumped. I still remember going to the hospital to look through the glass to meet this little being that I had talked to through my mom's belly for what seemed forever! I wanted to hold him and squish him and smother him (I still do).

When Layne was a tiny baby, my mother was out Christmas shopping while the rest of us kids were at school. Layne cried and cried for hours but my mom finally got him to sleep in the van. My mom pulled up to the bank and had the strongest spiritual impression to get Layne out of the van. She continued on and had an even stronger impression to get Layne out of the van. She opened the side van door, pulled Layne out of his car seat and walked towards the bank. Just then, the large van filled with a full tank of gas burst into flames. My mom prayerfully dropped to her knees thanking her Heavenly Father for saving her little boy. The fire trucks arrived and after long moments of putting out the flames, the fireman told my mother that they're both very lucky. He said that Layne would've been killed instantly.
Nobody tells this story with more conviction and more gratitude in his heart then Layne. We are all so grateful that Layne is here with us today. This dude has brought more laughs, more craziness and more happiness to the rest of our family.

Anyone who knows him would tell you that they have never met anyone so happy and so positive. The ladies love him, the guys want to be him and people can't get enough of him.
(This pick of Layne doing his business off the side of our boat in Lake Powell is one of my favorites. My mom was so mad when she saw this picture. "LARRY!" But I think it's so funny.)

Talented and witty, humorous and crazy, and most importantly he is so incredibly positive with a testimony and spiritual strength that is unwavering.


To my sweet brother Layne, thank for being the person that you are.
I love your face...if you were here I'd give you a great big squish.
Even though you're younger, you've always been an example to me and to the rest of the bros. You are the best brother a girl could ask for!

Love you!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY LAYNE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11 comments:

Beverly said...

Melissa, you are a sweet and crazy sister. I can't believe you put that one photo in your blog. No privacy in our family. Oh well...Layne loves you always.
This is a special day and we do appreciate and give thanks for Layne's unique niche in our family. Keep up the good work on your blog!!And to think you were the one who could never keep a journal. So many journals never made it past January on your shelf. Now, you have become our blog queen.

Anonymous said...

YO LAYNE! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Becky said...

I love the boat one! I love more that your mom hates it! Dave has learned, if you don't want it blogged, don't do it!

Ang said...

How sweet of you Miss. I miss Layne as a little kid. He truly was the cutest little boy ever... and still is. I love the memories of him and Heather. They were the cutest together!

Jeff and Amy Barlow said...

Has that Layne been snagged up yet? Whoever ends up with him, really is a lucky girl. His smile does it for everyone...right?

It was so fun growing up with you cousins...even if you were younger than me. I used to always want to hold and play with Layne. But he'd never give me the time of day! :)

Such a sweet posting. He's lucky to have YOU as a sis...

Anonymous said...

AMEN! Miss you said it all. I love that kid. We sure had a lot of good times growing up, especially the times we'd watch 3:00 high and make home videos. We had a blast and I Loved life when I was with him because he was so stinkin happy.

anyways, that was fun to see pics of him.

your cuz, heather

The Rupps said...

OH my GOODNESS! You are too funny! I hope Layne had a good birthday. You have such a cute blog. So are you taking up photography? I had a friend do her own photo business and she is doing pretty well. You should check her stuff out- maybe you will get some good business ideas. www.againstthegrainphotography.com. Emjoy!
Cami

The Rupps said...

Sorry I gave you the wrong site. it is www.againstthegrainphoto.com her pictures are really great. A lot like what you have been doing.

Lance and Becky said...

Those pictures are great! I love the one of him on the boat, that's so something my little guy would do :) I don't know him, but happy birthday Layne, and I love the pictures!

Cindy Merris said...

Hey Niu's I love your blog. Liv's is getting so big I can't believe it. Are you guys coming down anytime soon we would love to see you!

Unknown said...

Those pictures are great!and thats a very touching story about the van. I checked out the jus23 website, Phillip looks very professional.

Blog Archive