"Spittin' Seeds" and Memory Lane

I was asked a while back to be the Keynote Speaker for an event over at the high school. Even though I had two months to think about what I wanted to present to these young yet smarter than me minds, I (of course) prepared my speech the very last minute. I brainstormed with Philip about all the old stories or events that took place at the beginning of my career. It was so fun to talk about and take a trip down memory lane.
For example, here's one of them taken from my journal entry back in 2002:
-------------------
STORY:
Preface: I had finished my volleyball career at Washington State, and I got my first job out of college at NBC in Seattle, WA.


I was so pumped. First day on the job. I walked into NBC, showed them my badge and walked up numerous flights of stairs to the Sports Department. News anchors, camera crews, editors, big equipment...and finally...the sports department.
“Welcome Melissa”, said Tony, the evening news Sports Producer.
I barely touched down on a chair before he told me to jump back up.
“No time to waste! We need some sound bytes! I need you to get some sound on Ichiro, maybe some from Jeter, Garcia, and maybe some Lou.”
He handed me a mic, introduced me to the camera man, and we raced over to the broadcast van.

“What? What did he just say?” I thought. “Who the heck was he talking about?”
I picked up my cell phone and called my brother to ask him to tell me who these players were so I could make sure I interviewed the right people.

We arrived at Safeco Field, parked in a special underground parking where the media and players park. Mercedes, Land Rovers, Escalades, Lexus, car after car after car.
We then showed our media pass to the guard and walked through a very long tunnel. We came to a fork in the tunnel…on my right, the Mariners locker room. And to my left, the Yankees. And straight ahead of me, the field. We walked through the door at the end, and there I was…walking right into the Mariners dugout.
I was then standing right in the middle of very large men in tight pants.
“Hey, it’s the new girl!”
“New meat!”
“Hey Jimmy, it’s a young one!”

“Where am I and why am I here?” I thought to myself. That’s when I got nervous.
The players then raced off to the field to start their pre-game warm-ups…except for the pitchers that didn’t have to pitch that game. I just sat there, soaking it all in and waiting for our cue back at the studio to start the interview. In the meantime, one of the pitchers came and stood by me. He asked me questions, struck up conversation, etc. I answered as nicely and politely as possible. He looked at me strange.

“Wow, you’re really different aren’t you?” He said.
“Oh…uh…I guess so. Is that a good thing or a bad thing?”
“Oh it’s great. Refreshing actually.”

I was so flattered. Everything that I set out to be starting way back in high school was showing through in this very moment. I was different. I was representing something different and great.
But then, he cut off my train of thought like a record player scratch.
“But yo, that won’t last long.”

“Excuse me?”
“It’s only a matter of time before you turn into one of them. Selling your soul and sleeping your way to the top.”
Wow.

That moment was such a significant part of my career. It was a moment where I had to really think about myself and who I wanted to be and what I wanted to stand for. At that moment in time, I made a goal to myself to ALWAYS stand for who I am. And stand for something great.

(What's also so funny about this story is that I ended up playing catch with James Baldwin and Mike Cameron during pre-game warmups. I accidentally overthrew a ball and it just about wacked Ichiro in the head. Lets just say I got the "be professional" speech when I got back to the station. Anyways, continuing on with the story...)

As he told me about all the nice people that come into this type of work, he continued to tell me about the material world, and the lies that happen in corporate, and the players that don’t value family….and that I’ll fall into the same trap.

After moments of pondering, I looked back up at him and confidently said, “Well I hope to prove you wrong.” He laughed, gave me piece of Bazooka gum, gave me a noogie on my head and screamed to the rest of the players…. “Ha….she’s a keeper!”

I continued with my pregame and post-game interviews in the locker room with some of the players, a couple of coaches, and some of the Yankees. And I went home after an incredible first day at work and truly thought about what that player had told me.
--------------

That was seriously the most interesting day. And as I think back on different experiences I had through my first few jobs, I can't help but now think of why my parents were so worried about me. Nonetheless, I certainly came back with some interesting stories to tell.

But "Standing for Something Great" is the theme I went with for the high schoolers. I then brainstormed different subjects for my speech:
Character
Integrity
Leadership
Reaching Full Potential
Blah, blah, blah.....I was stuck. I needed a break. So I looked out the window and saw one of the cutest moments I've seen in a long time.

My brothers, Dave and Layne, took Livia outside to teach her how to "Spit Seeds".

I, of course, grabbed my camera to catch some memorable moments. If you notice in every pic, if you look closely, Liv has spit, drool, or crumbs of chewed up sunflower seeds on her chin.











Liv has the greatest uncles. Both my brothers and Philip's brothers are so wonderful to her...she's lucky to have them! Thanks to Dave and Layne for helping to entertain Liv and for curing my writer's block!

14 comments:

Alisa said...

Melissa,
Hi! I found your blog through Erin (Dahl) Allen's. It was fun seeing what you're up to and seeing pictures of your cute little girl. We've got a blog too, peteyfamily.blogspot.com. Anyways, just wanted to say hi! I love blogs, it's so fun to catch up with old high school friends a bit!
Alisa (Frederiksen) Peterson

Becca B said...

That is an awesome story! and i bet that's just the begining of them eh? You'll have to share some more sometime-love it!

Becky said...

could you please be my daily keynote speaker, just wake me up with an inspiring story- not too much to ask!
love the spitting, I can't think of a child more spoiled with love than liv!

Melanie said...

MORE STORIES!! That was awesome! I've alwyas wanted to know about your job in Seattle. Livia cracks me up. I miss you guys!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Melissa . . . You absolutely hit on so many of the characteristics that are needed to work in the world of sports. It was so great for me to see how you handled yourself through and through so many crazy, dramatic and political situations. It is a great reflection of you, but also of your wonderful parents and the values that they instilled in you. Taking the "high road" often times is not the easiest action to take, especially when superiors do not lead by example or demonstrate these traits themselves. But, with all of the good AND bad things that we endured in professional sports, we are much more prepared for our next challenge whether it is in our personal or professional lives. . . . and you, my dear, are amazing! Do you miss the world of professional sports? Hahaha, I sure do not! :) ~Kim

Melissa-Mc said...

Not many people can manage to be in that position and stick to their standards with all their talents and beauty. You are a great example and I can't wait to see the things will achieve in this life.

How great you realize that family is worth so much more than fame and money.

Jessica Law said...

That journal entry as so well written and you know, I did get glimpses of your life in Seattle, but never anything really deep. I am so glad you are a strong woman in EVERY way. Those kids what eat up all you have to say...good luck babe.

Tiare said...

What a great story! I'm sure the kids really like it. Thanks for being the person that you are despite what happens around you! You are an inspiration!

hot potato said...

wow, what a first day experience! good for you for standing your ground on your ethics.

love the spitting seeds pics. too cute.

SPARKY said...

ok, so funny comment to make, but dang your grass is green! very nice...
love the story. great memories.
and yes, spitting is a must. mine was taught by his daddy at 12 months. perfect.

Kipn n' Sarah said...

This post was so great and just wow, so dang feel good!!! You are such a wonderful woman and I admire your success so much, keep it up and keep encouraging those young kids out there. You are a great role model. You are my hero with your photography for sure, I want to shoot just like you!!!
As for Liv, I just love that she can hang with the boys! She is just the cutest thing and you sure have some great brothers that is for sure! Great pictures too, your neighborhood looks beautiful!

Lance and Becky said...

Seriously Melissa, what a fun and great opportunity that was for you! So awesome! I love the pictures, love the uncles! You are so beautiful, and you were probably (seriously can't spell) such a great example! I know that I think the world of you!

Emily Patterson said...

You are a beautifully wise woman. I love your diary story.
Emily

Dave said...

Missy, my fave is storyboardcolor.jpg - that's cool how you put the collage of the pictures together - thanks for letting us all share the fun together - you're the best, Sis! :) Love, Dave

Blog Archive