
Yep, those are my daughter's feet. And I can't help but sit here tonight all by my lonesome and reflect. I'm not trying to be deep, I just feel a little more at peace tonight than I've been in a while. It might be the scrumptious piece of all white toast that I just ate, OR it could be the fact that I had some pretty special moments with just my daughter and I today....all afternoon.
Let me back up...
Philip and I now have two house offers under our belt this month. No dice. For some reason in a terrible housing market such as this....the whole town put offers on the house we wanted. So lets start the search again. Ughhhhh......same houses over and over....same kitchens, weird layouts, cheap accessories yet expensive prices. We're in a rut.
In between crazy schedules of his and my work, we've been trying to figure out what is the next step. One thing is for sure....we need a SOLID foundation. Not just in a home, but with each other. With out that, it doesn't matter what home we buy.
So after stressing WAY too much about it the last few weeks. Philip took off for meetings in Utah....and Liv and I went shopping. We walked into a shoe store, and obviously after today, I realized that we both have a fettish.
Pink tennis shoes, brown boots, Sunday shoes, and polka dots...I was curious what she would choose. She walked right over to these.....
"Blue mom. A'nt (I want) blue."The lady asked what size she wore and I had no clue. We put her floppy foot on the size-o-meter and her size was just as I expected. Huge.
A solid foundation for her, indeed.
She walked out of the store like she was 16....holding her little shopping bag of shoes. She smurks. Looks at the bag. Smurks again....."blue shoes, mommy". Wow.
I wasn't carrying a baby, I was holding hands with a buddy. Talking, in our own little language, about flowers, and bugs, and what color the sky is. We shared nuggets and french fries and ended the night with some Charlotte's Web.
This is what it's all about. A perfect end to a stressful period of time. We're all in need of a solid foundation. Mine? Materialistically...Sheesh, hopefully the perfect home will come. But until then, I've got the gospel, my husband, and my girl.
Today marks the first mom/daughter day of conversing, thoughts, and shoes. Can't get any better than this.






26 comments:
I soooo love, and appreciate, this post Melissa!
We have been in the same frustrating housing hunt/rut as well. We actually put it on hold for a while (after no luck with two different homes). We too agreed it will come, but for now we have a roof over our heads, a great ward, wonderful friends and most of all our family is together. I don't care if we are homeless (okay, I do care a little about that) or live in the greatest mansion man ever built--as long as we are all under the same roof it's Heaven on Earth to me. :D
I so love that you have a little shopping buddy. Makes me actually think a girl wouldn't be so bad to add to the mix of little men we have here.
ooh. i'm honored to be the first to comment on one of your posts!
you are solid my dear.
every mama should have a little gal by her side. when it was just ellie and i, i caught myself saying things like, (on the phone with a ward member) "okay, we'll bring that by this afternoon." We? they'd ask. "Um, oh ya, my 2 year old daughter and i..." just habit.
i'm serious, you and your hubby are both extremely solid people.
good luck in the house hunt and give that liv a squeeze from me!
awe man. apparently i don't type fast enough! angie logged on and beat me to the punch! one of these days i'll be the first...
You are the best Mom Miss!
I love you so much and am so excited to spend time with you in Vegas!
didn't know it was so hard to get a house these days! Well, it's hard for us for a totally different reason! we have to try to sell a house in this cruddy market first!
The right one will come along-I am sure there is a plan for two great people like you!
glad that you could teach Liv the art of dealing with stress with shopping. bonding indeed!
What a sweet post! I love when you have real conversation with your kids, such a special thing.
Just so you know, that was me that waved to you on your bike tonight- my friend and I passed you in our car, and you were probably like who the heck was that! :)
that post was beautiful. Now that Ethan is at school, I find those "buddy moments" happening for Ella and I. I love having a girl. Not to mention a girl with a love for shoes! Our girls rock!
I hope everything works out for you with the house thing and I am sure it will. I totally understand about not seeing your hubby much i am right there with you. it's tough especially with you working so much. I am so proud of you. you have become such an amazing photographer. how do you make time for that. wish we lived closer so you could do ava's pics. miss you guys and i love phillips new smile. he looks great!
I remember that first time I realized Cody was my "buddy" now too, I cried. I didn't think about the fact that not only would he be my child but eventually my friend. Perfect!
You are a beautiful writer! I love everything that you say and the way that you say it! You are such a happy person and so full of love and passion for everything you touch! I respect you as a photographer but even more as a wife, mother, and friend! I wish we lived closer so I could get to know you even better!
Your thoughts are right on, a sure foundation is what really matters, everything else is built around that. If you did not have that sure foundation in life it would not matter how beautiful your home is or how much money you make, you would still be unhappy. I am so happy to see you enjoy the simple pleasures in life. That is what is important!
What a sweet little story. I feel a special bond with my oldest too, for the same reason. It's just YOU and ME.
Good luck with the house hunting!!
So cool. I'm so glad you shared. How perfect for you to have a shoe buddy!
Sorry the house thing fell through but I can't say I'm too sad about it...I love having you so close! I'm excited about things to come! shhhh. it's top secret!!! Hey the girls loved the pictures! I went to a assembly today and got so many compliments...just wanted to share. It's not just me that thinks your amazing!
Aw, what a sweet post. Love the shoes! I hope you have some luck house hunting. We can TOTALLY relate to expensive house prices, living in Seattle. Ugh. It feels like we'll never be in a house here. Good luck!
Sorry, not sure what happened there. I'm one of Phillip's many cousins (we were at your wedding).Anyhow, I saw your blog on Alvina's and had to check it out. You have fun things to say and GREAT pictures too. Wished your were closer to take our pictures (let me know when you're in Hawaii). Anyhow,I hope you don't mind me adding you to our blog. I love keeping up with family. If you ever want to check out ours it's sasakigang.blogspot.com
When you have all brothers and no sisters, isn't it so fun to have a little girl?
way to find perspective! it's hard to remember there is something greater than us in control when things "feel" out of control. i loved this post. thanks for sharing and good luck with the house hunting (i know a really good realtor if your'e in need of one :O)
oh, and yes! i'll be in vegas
Awww..... this was such a sweet post! I seriously get SO excited for Madi to be old enough to have conversations with me! And having the attention span to watch a WHOLE movie together!! So nice!!! It really is great having a buddy to hang out with everyday! Good luck on the house shopping!
Wow that is so sweet! I definitely need a daughter someday. That is just how I picture it to be.
That's awesome!! Blue shoes.... gotta love em!
How stinkin cute is this post! What a gem you have for a little girl! It refelects on you guys...great people :)
Yes those times are so priceless! I too have ONE at this time and he's 6 mext month. He IS my 'buddy' I miss him as he's gone to Kindergarten now. I too love those little conversations that only go on between a Mommy and her "baby buddy" Great post! See ya in Vegas!
Oh...I could just feel the love soaked into every word! Don't you just love being a mom! Love ya Miss.
i have sparkly tears in my eyes. thanks for the post and lighting up my spirit! i love girls!
Mel...isn't it those little moments that you feel like you are in heaven? I felt like that when I walked out of the bathroom and Hailey said, "Mom, cute chastick!" Girly girls. As for me letting Hailey pick out her own shoes? She has odd taste (seriously...like new age/retro) and I figure I have plenty of years stressing out about her looking weird when she is a teenager. For now, I'm in charge. :) Love your guts. Tell Phil Happy birthday! And of course you too!
Stacy
Post a Comment