Date Night turned to Trash

The other night Philip and I hit the town.  Babysitter and all, we were ready for a night amongst ourselves.  We sat down at one of my favorite restaurants; The Cheesecake Factory.   Mmmmm, just thinking about it makes me drool.  
We ate, we talked, we sighed, we laughed, it was a total date-night right out of the movies.  (Cue the cheesy music).  After our scrumptiously delicious meal of Louisiana Chicken, Herb-crusted salmon, and Banana-Cream Cheesecake, we packed up our things and walked hand-in hand in the mall.  I know, you're dying of romantic jealousy aren't you.  
Just then, our perfection of a night came to a screeching halt as Philip's romantic gaze turned into a mouth dropping "oh no" face.  He dropped my hand and booked it down the halls of the mall.  
Yep, you guessed it....he left his retainer on the table.  Every 13-year old will tell you that that is the #1 rule breaker of wearing your retainer. ...ALWAYS, always, always, put your retainer in its little holder then carefully place it in your pocket.  (Insert mental picture here of Steve Erkle) 
I slowly followed behind him and entered the restaurant to find Philip recruiting the entire staff to dig through the trash to find his retainer.  

I laughed.  I laughed, very immature-like, and very hard.  

Well, needless to say, the staff didn't find it.  So Philip went back to the dumpster with rubber gloves on  and dug through stinky lettuce and chopped up pieces of raw meat.  

In the meantime, I was sitting by the hostesses curled up in a corner playing with Philip's iPhone.  After 4 games of tetris and minesweeper, he came back into the restaurant with serious glee.    

"I found it!"  Maybe it was my imagination but I swear the whole restaurant cheered.
I laughed.... again.  

So our dinner and a movie night got cut short.  I totally got ditched for a dumpster.  Not that I cared, I was thoroughly entertained.  

28 comments:

Melissa-Mc said...

I am SOOOO glad you got a picture of him digging through the dumpster. Funny!

I'm glad he found it. How do you sanitize those things anyways?

The Harpers said...

That's funny! I remember that same thing happening to my best friend when we were in Junior High. I, like you, wisely chose not to enter the dumpster to help her look.

[Morgan] said...

Ha!
too funny.
Go Philip, I don't even floss...

Troy, Erin and baby Boston said...

Ha ha!! I wonder if your hubby won't want to eat there anymore...after seeing, smelling, and digging through the Cheesecake Factory's yucky trash food! Well, I'm glad he found it, and hopefully he figured out a good way to clean it :) Thanks for sharing the funny story!

Becky said...

thanks for the laugh tonight- really needed one! I think it is mostly funny that you sat there and watched! and he still loves you! :)
at least he found it!

Jeff and Amy Barlow said...

I absolutely love this post. And it wouldn't be what it is without that picture. Classic.

That little girl of yours is something to behold, as well. You guys did good on her! Simply beautiful!

Hope all is well with you!

Amy

Melanie said...

Hilarious!! Every time I eat I have to take my retainer out, I'm always scared I'm going to do just what Phil did! Glad he found it!

Lance and Becky said...

That is sooo funny! I've done that a time or two...tell philip he's not alone :) I have a question for ya. What website is it that you can print your blog off like a journal? Christmas idea for Lance...good one huh!

{Marie Long} said...

I totally laughed out loud! What an awesome date!

Kipn n' Sarah said...

Ok so not only are you an AMAZING PHOTOGRAPHER but you are and AMAZING STORY TELLER, is there anything that you can't do, seriously!!!
That story cracked me up and I totally cracked up at the picture of the digging in the trash, and seeing it in my mind was even funnier, and wow.... what a hoot!
Well glad he found the retainer and hope it was very sanatized!!!!
You two crack me up. I really need to move up there so we can play. Don't think it will happen for a long while though sad to say.

Erin Boyle said...

I totally did that in the seventh grade! It sucks. After I found it in the garbage I was so worried about the germs that I took my retainer home and boiled it in hot water...Stupid! The plastic melted in the boiling water. I got so freaked out about it changing shape that I thought I could quickly put it in my mouth to reshape it. No such luck. It totally burned my mouth. So back in the garbage it went. I think I was so scared to tell my mom the whole story that I just left off at the part where I lost it in the cafeteria at school.

Lorilu said...

Now THAT'S a PERFECT blog story!

barbara beck said...

John and I got a good laugh out of that one! that is the funniest thing I have heard in a long time~

The Brownz said...

You guys are too cute:) I love that you just sat there while he was outside freakin out...

candicetheresa said...

love this story, tim and I laughed and loved it! miss you guys

Jeff and Angela Boyle said...

You know, Phil, I have 2 retainers, and I have to say that I've never had to dumpster dive!

But the other day when we went to eat, I did find, in rememberance of you, a hair in my food. Just for you, Phil.

I am glad you found the retainer.

Jessica Law said...

Next time please have Phil call Scott and he will gladly make him a new one at no charge.

I am feeling a little sick right now...however, I am more impressed with Phil now than ever. This behavior is exactly what has gotten him to be where he is now.

Did he find it sandwiched right between a little Chicken Madiera and Kung Pow Shrimp? Both of those tasty dinners would've given the retainer a nice extra punch of flavor.

SPARKY said...

that's just gross. i can't believe he dug in the dump. perfect!!! :O)
i think i'd have thown in the towel the minute i heard i may have to dig through any trash.

Ryan and Brindi said...

Phil man I did the same thing when I was in middle school! My grandma and I spent 2 hours digging through the McDonalds dumpster and finally found the dumb thing so I feel your pain! Haven't talked to you forever. Looks like everything is going well. Give me a shout sometime

Kassie said...

Oh my goodness!! MELISSA BOYLE NIU!!! I saw your page on Tupu's.. She's my cousin, how the heck are you? Still beautiful as ever and my husband Ray knows Phillip from BYU football.. WOW!! small world, your daughter is so gorgeous and I am so happy I found you.. Please keep in touch xoxoxox

Becca B said...

sick!!!!!!! that is so hilarious, thanks for the wonderful gut wrenching laugh...i needed that. so how did you come out on tetris? :)

5 Brothers Farms said...

Too funny! I remember having to dig through the lunchroom trash for MY retainer. Ahhh what a story!!

McBrides said...

That's hilarious! Love that he lost his retainer - just imagining that makes me laugh!!

benandmonitanner said...

That's great! Blog history in the making!

April said...

I love you two... Thanks for sharing! I 'm still smiling about that story...

Joey and Michelle Chandler Family said...

Joey and I got a good laugh at that one! You are one funny gal!

theniufamily said...

Love it! Our husbands are so cool with their retainers!

The Stones said...

you are one gorgeous girl!

Blog Archive