Love Happens...

I love it when I get to wake up next to a good man.  But not just a good man, but a good man on Valentines Day.  

We woke up and finally gave ourselves a fantastic Valentines Day.  
After 3 years of scratching our heads, stressing out or trying to figure out what the heck the other person needs....we finally got it right.    

Now don't get me wrong with my overall summary of this post, gifts are absolutely fantastic.  

For instance: he surprised me by having a lovely lady come to the house for a private massage in the comforts of my own home.  It was to die for. If you are looking for an amaaaazing masseuse at an ammmmmazing price, let me know.  She took away my pregnancy for a good hour and a half.  Thank you Philip, thank you thank you.

But that wasn't the best part.  It was an all day affair that we just didn't want to end.  

Breakfast, all 3 of us, together at a local hole in the wall. 

Manicures, Pedicures, ALL 3 OF US.




If you seem shocked at the big 6'5" guy getting a pedicure, it's not his first time.  He's totally comfortable with his manliness to accompany me to a good foot-groom.  What you should be shocked about, is that the little tiny girl who loves dinosaurs, swords, and little boy underwear was totally having the time of her life.  She sat still the WHOLE time....unnnnnbelievable.  She chose purple.  And smiled like a little feminine princess for an hour.  I was totally and completely entertained by my two spa buddies.  So fantastic.  

Fancy Dinners?  Flowers?  Nope and nope.  We walked through the mall and picked a delicious greaser pit.  We then walked to Cheesecake Factory and took a couple of fatty cakes to go.  

Liv went to bed, and Philip and I ate our cheesecakes together on the Love Sac talking for hours and watching recordings of The Office and Flight of the Concords.  It was too perfect. 

My gift for Philip?  Well, if you know me...I'm not what you would call, a romantic.  I don't like cheesiness, I'm not the best with lovey dovey stuff, and it has purely been an absent quality  in my life simply because of the fact that I don't like feeling vulnerable.  Silly.

But this Valentines Day, I threw Philip a curve ball.  I don't tell him enough all of the wonderful things he does.  I don't thank him enough for the man he is.  He truly is a blessing, and I wanted him to know it.  So I gave him the give of words this year.  101 times.


Nothing pretty, or wrapped any special way.  Just my words.  It was so thought provoking and so rewarding; a fantastic reminder to myself who I married.  I cruised through 5 pieces of paper and enjoyed laughing to myself in the mean time.  How he looked when we first met, the way he chews his food, his silly faces when he misses a foul shot...I love it all.   I could have written 10 times as much.  

Valentines Day is great for gifts or flowers or jewelry or blah blah blah.  I was told by a couple of good guy friends that Valentines Day is all about the girl.  But I'm going to have to disagree.   I believe that in this time of age where women are more needy, more in need of power, more independent, that we sometimes forget to be thankful for a good man.  My day would not have been complete if I didn't let mine know my inner most thoughts.  

Maybe vulnerability ain't such a bad thing after all. 







 

20 comments:

jessica said...

Melissa, I love your posts! They are so unique and the way you write is so entertaining! I love your Valentine's day. It really did sound perfect. Btw, your Liv pulls off the girly girl act preciously! She looked darling.

Melinda said...

What a great way to spend the day.

BTW, we miss you over here!!! It's fun to be able to see what you are up to.

[Morgan] said...

what a good idea.
you are amazing friend.

[Morgan] said...

ps. handwritten. that is awesome. even more thoughtful.

Melissa-Mc said...

I'm glad you were able to have such a wonderful Valentine's Day! We also went to Cheesecake factory and bought cheesecakes to take home.

Kipn n' Sarah said...

You two are the perfect couple and make such a beautiful family! I love what you did for V Day as a family and I think that sounds PERFECT! I agree on your perspective on Life, Love and Valentines Day! Glad you had the perfect day and finally figured it out! I still LOVE every post you do! I always look forward to them!

Jessica Law said...

ata girl Miss! Your writing continues to get more and more intriguing. It's my Reader's Digest moment in the day when I read your words.

side note: Did you ever look up March 14th by chance? Google it. Scott is looking forward to that day.

Brett and Diana Cooper said...

mmmmm...that is a very good point how we sometimes forget or take for granted having a good man in our lives and our childrens lives. We are lucky, lucky women! I love the gift of words that you gave to your sweet hubby. So clever. That is something money cannot buy. How cute is Liv getting a "mani!" I bet she felt sooo special!

Becky said...

those are the best times together, although I wouldn't pass up that massage either!!
love your peed on story too! what a laugh!

Kim said...

Melissa! I love it .... I still remember you telling me how you met the most amazing man in the lunch room at work ... and he met a pretty amazing woman too! I'm so glad you found each other. What a blessing! How cute is Liv!

Amanda said...

I am glad you were able to get it right this year. We are still working on that. I think as long as I am working in the restaurant world Valentines Day will not be my favorite holiday.

I hope you and Philip can come onto Mona Lisa soon. Come on a Friday or Saturday and I can make sure you have a GREAT time.

We are open for lunch now too. Bring Liv. it could be a girls day. :)

Amanda said...

I am glad you were able to get it right this year. We are still working on that. I think as long as I am working in the restaurant world Valentines Day will not be my favorite holiday.

I hope you and Philip can come onto Mona Lisa soon. Come on a Friday or Saturday and I can make sure you have a GREAT time.

We are open for lunch now too. Bring Liv. it could be a girls day. :)

AMIT said...

Hope ur good here.

Work from home

candicetheresa said...

Oh that face on Liv is priceless!!

Tim's secure enough to do a pedi too! So we need to, soon.

What a great day! And a great gift, on both sides.

Anie said...

WOW! What a FABULOUS Valentines Day!! I love your gift of words- I gave the exact same thing to Spencer this year!

theniufamily said...

Wow what a fun day. I love the picture of Livia getting her nails done. And great idea with the 101 things you love!

Joey and Michelle Chandler Family said...

I love your posts!

Erik & Marcie +3 said...

Sounds like a PERFECT day! I'm so glad you got to be pampered. And I love that your husband got pedi's with you! Fun!

Felder Funnies said...

What a fun day- what is your secret to getting your man into getting a pedicure? Chris would take off running if I even mentioned it!! And I love the pee story!! Kids do some pretty gross stuff and we still love them!! I loved seeing the pics of your parents! I forgot all about Ma and Pa Boyle-- tell them hello for me.

Jeff and Angela Boyle said...

Glad that amongst all these wonderful things that you did this day, that you were gracious enough to let Phil come help my hubby. We love you guys!

Blog Archive