She Peed on Me

Have you ever woken up in the middle of the night and felt like you wet your pants? Except the wetness was all over your back, shoulders, back side, and legs?

That's what happened to me this morning.

We have a problem in our house. A serious problem. We bought Liv a fairly expensive cute little bed for her new room. And so far, the usage level is fair to midland. Mostly used for nap time and sometimes her favorite monkey.


We put her to bed, and a couple hours later, she crawls into our sanctuary to snuggle up to her daddy. And of course we're both usually too tired to put her back. Philip has attempted to walk her back to her room but she ends right back on his pillow a few minutes later.

So this morning, around 6am, she decided to cuddle with mommy, but not just cuddle. She wrapped her leg around me like a body pillow. Precious for only a moment. The loads of Diet Coke from the Sushi restaurant that our friends gave her the night before suddenly ended up all over my body.

Lovely.

I lost my patience. I got angry. Very frustrated. Very pregnant. Very Tired. Almost somewhat humorous.

As I sat up in my bed soaked in urine, my thoughts flooded. What do we do, lock her up? What the heck are we supposed to do when baby #2 comes??? Get a bigger bed? Do we deal with it until she's 8 years old or 6'4" (it's a possibility) and still wants to snuggle up with daddy? Ughhhhhh. Please, sweet, dear, friends and wonderful mothers....what does an amateur mom do? Our sanity depends on it.

21 comments:

Kaila said...

Kate went through this. She didn't want to sleep in her new big girl bed. Her's was an actual twin size. We then figured it out that she just wasn't ready for that big of a bed and we bought a toddler bed and let her pick out the bedding! She now stays in her bed. And if she is okay with the big twin size then you just have to be stronger to get her to stay in her own bed. It is so hard when you are tired. But it will only take a couple of nights to get her to realize she has to stay in her bed. SuperNanny talks about this in one of her books (don't remember which one) or you could try a chart and when she sleeps in her bed all night she can put a sticker on it. okay that was long and who knows if it will help you but there's some ideas. Hope to see you soon.

[Morgan] said...

oh. this is ellie too.
you are not alone.
although she never peed on me! ha ha.
persistence and bribery. those were our two tickets. and it took two weeks. so maybe add patience to that list.
good luck!

Emily C. said...

We had to put a lock on our kids doors when they reached the big kid's bed stage--and before I get screamed at for being a nazi parent, let me just say in my defense that Grant was sleep walking at night and one time ended up at the nieghbor's house in his underwear! We didn't even hear him get past the deadbolt! Hence the lock. Eventually the sleepwalking stopped, and then it was Ella's turn for the big girl bed--she would get up at night, climb up onto the bathroom counter, and play in the water from the sink until the bathroom was nearly flooded--seriously, my lower cabinet doors are still warped because of this. So we put the lock on her door too. But we kept a baby monitor in there so we could hear her if she woke up. I only had to lock the door for about 2 weeks until she accepted it, and now I don't even lock it, but she doesn't try to get out because she believes it's locked.

So. I don't know if this might be a solution for you, but at least I can say, I know what you're going through sister! Good luck!

brody and kenzie said...

The joys of being a parent! We went through this with Roper as well. I was, and still am, a softy when it comes to my kids at bedtime. I would lay down with Roper in his bed to help him get to sleep and keep walking him back to bed and laying down with him when he woke up in the night. It didn't take long for him to stay in his bed and even now, we have a deal with him. He sleeps in our room on the floor on Friday nights...this helps when during the week he doesn't want to stay in his room or he has a nightmare. I am sure there are better ways and it looks like you've already received great advice but, you just have to trust what you feel right about doing. P.S. My sister Lindsay locks her kids in their bedrooms as well...works great for her! By the way, when are you due?

Jana said...

GROSS!!! Hahaha!! I'm with Kaila, maybe try a toddler bed. But if you don't want to do that, I would for a few nights no matter how tired you are just keep putting her back in her bed how ever many times it takes. Don't say anything, just keep putting her back, and then eventually she will probably see that there's no point in getting into your bed! Maybe? I think? this mommy things a guessing game!!
That bed is gorgeous!!!

Angie Judd said...

Oh my! Sorry, but I had to laugh. ;)
We have gone through this as well. Ry was the worst.
Sticker chart worked great. Each night he stayed in his bed he got to put a sticker on his chart. When it was filled up he got a toy. Or a smaller chart, and once it's filled up a trip to the ice cream store.
Best news...he's 6 1/2 and sleeps all night in his bed! :D
Good luck!

Travis, Shantell, and Family said...

Sorry to say, we had that same problem with Raylee and well we did start shutting her door and dealth with the crying a week. When she starts to open the door, if she can open it, you can buy a gate and put that in front of the door. Its so hard and tough but if you can stick it out it makes it so much better. Not to mention we started to give Raylee fun toys in her bed she could play with if she does wake up in the middle of the night! It has worked like a charm!

Anonymous said...

all of our kids have gone through a phase of coming in and wanting to sleep with us. I permanently had a sleeping bag out for them. They knew that if they wanted to come in, they could QUIETLY come lay in the sleeping bag. The phase will pass. The sleeping bay will go away. Morning bed snuggles are fine and great-- middle of the night pee snuggles are not. My cousin gave me the sleeping bag idea and it helped a ton. good luck!

Kipn n' Sarah said...

I know that I have told you this before but I am going to tell you again, I LOVE HOW YOU WRITE!!! You totally crack me up with pretty much anything you write even when it is supposed to be serious you still find a way to make it humorous! I LOVE YOU!!!
Ok so I can't really give you any tips on this one since I am even more of an amateur mom than you are but I will give you this.... GOOD LUCK ;)
By the way I love your shot of her bed and monkey! At least the monkey gets use out of that super cute bed!

Martha said...

Kuddos to laying with them in their bed...it's the best of both worlds. You don't have to keep getting up to take them back, and they get you to lay with them until they fall asleep. My son didn't do this, but my daughter does...it's hard. I would just be consistent with her. It'll be tough for a couple of nights, but hopefully after that, she'll understand where she should be sleeping. Better now than after that little bean is home in bed with you too!!!

Jennifer Anderson said...

Melissa-
That seriously just happened the other night. I was ticked--had to wash ALL the bedding--shams, duvet, down comf....everything. This is when I hate all the juice that Izzy continues to drink!!!!

Melissa-Mc said...

When Megan was 2 we got this book "How to Solve Your Child's Sleep Problems." It totally helped. Now with Chase, we had to put one of those contraptions over the doorknob. After about 3 weeks, we took it off and he doesn't wander any more.

Blanchards said...

Hey Miss ~ Congrats!!!!!!!! Not of the pee in the bed...but I didn't know you are pregnant!!! That is awesome and so exciting. When is baby due? You will love having two. So much easier in my opinion...they will love each other and you will find you have more time for yourself all of a sudden. Your new place looks awesome! Where did you guys decide on? We threw a superbowl party too but it was in a space 1/4 of that room...you gotta love California. Anyway, it was good to see Jessica in your blog. She was such a cute girl! We are sad we missed you guys at Christmas too. It was super fun to get together. It would have been fun to have you there. Call me sometime to catch up!

Nathan and Hailey Frogley said...

That is hilarious! Taya went through that stage too, when the new baby was born and she got a big girl bed. When they can get out of bed, it's a new freedom, and they will be curious. She's over it now. Just keep putting her back in bed:)

Unknown said...

I don't have any advice since I am not there yet. but that story sounds kinda funny! I would be frustrated if I had to get up and clean up pee all over me too! How's the pregnancy going?

The Great Lakes of NY said...

Hey Melissa, Brian will laugh at this one, too. All FIVE of our kids have slept with us! No joke. We have the family bed like no other! Actually, looking back on 14 years of cuddling with kids, I wouldn't trade it for anything. We always worry about when a baby comes along how the one in our bed will deal and somehow, they always do. It seems like they age a year when a baby comes. Garner has been so sweet about giving up his place. Now, sometimes, he comes to my side of the bed in the middle of the night and whispers in my ear, "will you come cuddle with me in MY bed?" Of course, you little sweetheart!!

AMIT said...

U have written much good post here.

Work from home

SPARKY said...

i'm so sorry you got peed on. oh the sacrifices of motherhood :O)
well, my little guys has never once tried to crawl in bed with us. i think cause he knows it would be the end of life as he knows it... just teasin. neither rich or i can handle him in the bed, we'd never get any sleep. BUT if he did, we vowed, it'd be STRAIGHT back to his bed as many times as it took till he go the message. i do however have a problem with naptimes and him getting out of his room. i too am getting one of those child safety things that goes on the door. i don't want him sneaking out while i'm asleep or something (not that it's very likely i'd sleep through it) but just in case. good luck. either way, it will pass, but your right, you won't want to have her doin that when the next baby comes.

Joey and Michelle Chandler Family said...

Funny, in fact my little girl Jaycee told me today she wants us to get rid of her bed, just take it out of her room... she'd rather sleep on the floor, or with us. Jaycee is the same, she loves to sleep with us and her daddy likes to cuddle with her too much to tell her no. The only thing that has worked for me is to #1 talk to her before she even goes to sleep. I tell her to stay in her own bed tonight. She likes to please so sometimes it works but if it doesn't #2 is this. Put 2 quilts or blankets (crib size)on the end of her bed. Tell her that if she comes in your room she has to sleep on the floor. At first I had to help her but now she does it herself. She takes one quilt and puts it on the floor to sleep on top of, gets her pillow and covers herself up with the other (and sometimes brings a teddy bear along). I just gave her the choice on the floor in our room or back in her own bed. Good luck! Can't believe you got peed on... Oh wait yes I can, I've washed many sheets in my day!

Collie Dawgs said...

Melissa,

I LOVED this post and your valentine's one as well. I read these comments and it makes me feel so much better about life as a mother of an almost 3 year old. Sometimes you think it's only happening to you!! :) Shae has been wanting to be in our bed more lately--the past 2-3 months..maybe longer..it all runs together. She will nap in her bed, but at night she doesn't to be in her bed unless she has already fallen asleep in ours and then we move her. So. I'm obviously not offering any advice, I am actually taking it from all of these other moms! So, thanks for that! Dani kept putting triston back to bed over and over w/o looking at him or talking to him and now he's sleeping all night long in his bed! I may try the sleeping bag idea and the sticker chart! Take care and good luck with the pregnancy. Kendyl is 9 months old alaready and I feel like I just had her!

Lee VB said...

I'm 30 years old and still wet the bed.

Three times per night.

And I still sleep with my parents...

Blog Archive