Poor Big Brown

For those who don't know, Philip grew up in Hawaii, right across from the temple in Laie. He was that little brown boy that was probably with his brothers swimming in the temple fountain while you and your fam were trying to get pictures.

Bare feet, body surfer, pigeon talking, deep ocean swimming little boy.

He then moved to Arizona. Hot, desert, cactus, and scorpions. MILES away from snow!

Well, this weekend, he decided to try snow skiing for the first time. I'm not sure why it freaked me out. Maybe it was because of his experience of the 3 ACL surgeries in the same knee. Or maybe it was because of his strenuous foot surgery. Or many concussions.

I called him around noon.

"How's it going babe?"

"Awesome! I'm totally dominating the bunny hill!"

How harmless could it be, right?

The next thing I know, I receive a picture taken from my brother Jeff's iPhone with Philip in a frickin' body bag.


Now that I know that he's alive, I can't help but look at this picture and laugh my head off. Turns out that he ended up getting a little too confident on the "big boy" hill and decided to go super duper fast. With the packed Boise ice, I mean snow, it just so happens that he tumbled for a few hundred feet. Legs, skiis, arms, flying everywhere. The man might as well been on concrete.

He just layed there. My brother Jeff flying down to rescue him says, "Dear Big Brown, what on earth happened?"

"I've got a mild concussion and a shoulder separation." says Philip.

Sure enough, that's what the doctor prescribed. I guess the years of injuries on the football field has paid off.

Jeff caught a pic of him being carried away with a big smile on his face. And with the drugs the doc prescribed, he's looked this way ever since. Happy and high.


In celebration of Philip's life along with the Cardinals making it to the big game, we managed to throw a big fat Super Bowl party at our new place.


That's right, we're officially adults now. Kind of.

Hope you all had a safe weekend, free of body bags.

31 comments:

candicetheresa said...

Wow! Wow about Philip. No bueno. And wow about the new place! HOw is it being on your own again? I felt so free and so happy when we finally got our own place again! Though I missed adult interaction so often. But I am excited for you!! You must tell us more about you finally made your new place decision!

April said...

I'm glad to hear that Philip survived;alive and feeling as well as can be expected given the circumstances! Congrats on your new place--I'm really happy for you! Melissa I'm glad that you are feeling better these days! Love you and give your little one a kiss for me!

Erik & Marcie +3 said...

Yikes! That's impressive he could get so banged up on the bunny hill! lol Your new home looks beautiful! Congrats! And I'm so glad you're feeling better and out of the yucky pg stage.

Anonymous said...

Yay! I am so happy for you guys to get into a house! Looks gorgeous:)
Hope Phil feels better soon.
Trina
PS. We are headed to Honolulu in a couple weeks. Is that where Phil is from? Any tips on hot spots to visit?

{Marie Long} said...

the bunny hill!?! Ha! Fun picturs. You guys make my life look so boring. Hey I'll make you some leg warmers for Liv, just let me know what (solid) color you want. The yarn for a pair is about 5 bucks. email me marielong27@gmail

Kim said...

Oh wow, what an adventure! Glad to hear that Philip is okay and hopefully he'll give skiing another try. Congrats on the house . . . Hmmmm, I feel a post giving us a virtual tour coming soon? What do ya say?? :)

Heidi said...

Oh man I laughed all through this post. Ben wanted to now what I was laughing at so I had to read it out loud to him and laughed again.

You guys bought a house? V. exciting!

Erin said...

COngrats on the new place! What neighborhood is it in? I hope I get to come check it out some day soon! And that picture of Philip smiling in the body bag KILLED me... oh my gosh, he is so fantastic. Glad he's okay.

Kaila said...

It sounds like he is about as bad as Kenji. I am glad he enjoyed it though. And congrats on your new place. Hope to see it and you soon!

[Morgan] said...

i. cannot. stop. laughing.

[Morgan] said...

oh and congrats on the new place. it's beautiful.

Troy, Erin and baby Boston said...

Woah! I'm glad Philip is ok! And congrats on the new place! I can't wait to see/hear more about it.

Jessica Law said...

freaking Philip!!

5 Brothers Farms said...

Hey you! Your new house looks just LOVELY! I am oh-so happy to hear that your hubby survived...kind of... the icy slopes!:) And, I'm soo glad that you are on the up...no more toilet bowl close ups for you!:)

birdbabies said...

wow, thats just too funny (i mean now that i know he's safe n' all) :) love the new place, congratz! we need to come see you guys.

Becky said...

the place looks great!
so glad skiing didn't = surgery again! that is so funny that he thought to get pictures for you!

Logan and Lisa said...

Wow,
I'm glad everything is okay. Love the new place-how fun!

jessica said...

Oh my gosh- no wonder you were worried! I'm so glad that he's okay- hilarious that he was able to diagnose himself though. I'm also glad that you didn't have to be there to see it! Congrats on the new beautiful house and the ability to say goodbye to the toilet close-up! Nothing feels better than having new life that comes with the second trimester!

C.Jay said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
C.Jay said...

I heard the sling was making a come back. You are certainly part of the "in" crowd now.

Kipn n' Sarah said...

I guess a wife has intuition right??? WoW!!!! Glad the man is ok and that he has not done anything else to his acl or foot. I have decided to NEVER Ski again due to my right and left acl surgerys and stick to snow boarding so my legs can't go two seperate ways. Well glad he is ok and YOU GOT A HOUSE????? It looks BEAUTIFUL!!!! So excited for you guys! Now we have a place to stay when we come up and visit, yeah ;) I think Kip and Phil would totally get along, and us, well of course. O and I got Adobe so I need some direction?

Melissa-Mc said...

Ahhhh, poor guy! I'm glad he got drugs. That makes things more bearable :)

shawna said...

so excited about your new place. hopefully we'll get to see pix soon? oh, and glad philip is ok. loved the pix in the body bag. i'm sure he loved them, too ;)

brody and kenzie said...

Oh...poor poor Philip. We are glad he is okay and from the pictures we can see that he still has his sense of humor in tact! Congrats on your new place! It has to be so nice to be on your own again. I'm done with the pregnancy sickness as well! Yahoo! When is your due date? I'm farther along then they thought so I should be having a baby in July. Hope all is well...give me a call!
Love,
Kenz

brody and kenzie said...

Oh...poor poor Philip. We are glad he is okay and from the pictures we can see that he still has his sense of humor in tact! Congrats on your new place! It has to be so nice to be on your own again. I'm done with the pregnancy sickness as well! Yahoo! When is your due date? I'm farther along then they thought so I should be having a baby in July. Hope all is well...give me a call!
Love,
Kenz

The Great Lakes of NY said...

Melissa, that was HILARIOUS!! Please thank Phil for the great laughs at the Lake household! I'm glad he's alright. Wish I could have seen it in real life!

Shannon Allen said...

Oh my goodness that story is hilarious! Man do we miss you guys and how much you make us laugh! Glad he survived and that is also a great picture of the Super Bowl action. We probably looked the same way!

Shannon Allen said...

Oh, and hooray and baby #2! I am glad you are feeling well again and congratulations!

The Richins Family said...

oh my gosh. this post is too funny. it totally sounds like a niu boy thing to do. glad to hear everythings alright. nice house!

The Brownz said...

Love the new house:) Ballers lol

Martha said...

I looked all over the blog...still not updates on where the house is??? It looks great...where are you guys?

Blog Archive