I was at the Train Depot in Boise doing a photoshoot, and had no choice but to bring Liv with me to hang out and play with her future cousins. If you know the Train Depot, you know that there's lots of water, lots of big huge rocks, and a couple railroad tracks. (Please don't call Child Protective Services on me...I really had the best of intentions.)

So I continued on with my photosession, every once in a while turning around to make sure Liv and little Corbin were okay. But if you've ever been with me on a shoot, you'd know that the world around me disappears and I seem to get a little too into what I'm doing.
So I turned my back, took some photos, wandered to different locations....lost track of my child, and suddenly a man comes racing around the corner.
"Do any of you have children...a little girl? She fell in the big pond!"
My heart sank.
"I'm a bad mom. I'm a terrible mom"
"I'm a bad mom. I'm a terrible mom"
I thought the worst, of course, and ran as fast as I possibly could without puting myself into early labor. ...then saw this.

My sweet baby was okay. I hugged her, let her cry, and once I found out there was no bleeding, I had to snap a picture.

My sweet baby was okay. I hugged her, let her cry, and once I found out there was no bleeding, I had to snap a picture.
It was the saddest little face I had ever seen.
"Oh sister, what happened?"
"Mooooommmmmmy! I fell in the wah-ber"
"You did? Were you scared?"
"Yes mommy!"
"How? How did you get out?"
"Corbin saved me, mom. Corbin."
I seriously wanted to cry. A little 5 year old boy wearing cowboy boots and a back pack had serious courage and, without second thoughts, jumped right in to the moldy, mossy, fish-swarmed water to save my girl.

I looked at Corbin and could not believe it. This little miniature man really was heroic. He looked at me with the proudest look on his face and said,
"Mewissa. I saved her. I weally weally saved her."
He took off his cowboy boots and dumped out the puddles of water, put on a warm sweatshirt and took his heroic role even further and comforted Liv the rest of the time.
You really don't find little Kindergarten boys that would do things like this. Some might scream for help, some might stay silent and panic, and some might run away from the situation and try to find a grown up.
Not Corbin.

There's the men that climbed the stairs when the planes hit the World Trade Centers.
The brave soldiers that are at war.
And then...there is Corbin.
A real blessing. He was a hero.
"Oh sister, what happened?"
"Mooooommmmmmy! I fell in the wah-ber"
"You did? Were you scared?"
"Yes mommy!"
"How? How did you get out?"
"Corbin saved me, mom. Corbin."
I seriously wanted to cry. A little 5 year old boy wearing cowboy boots and a back pack had serious courage and, without second thoughts, jumped right in to the moldy, mossy, fish-swarmed water to save my girl.

I looked at Corbin and could not believe it. This little miniature man really was heroic. He looked at me with the proudest look on his face and said,
"Mewissa. I saved her. I weally weally saved her."
He took off his cowboy boots and dumped out the puddles of water, put on a warm sweatshirt and took his heroic role even further and comforted Liv the rest of the time.
You really don't find little Kindergarten boys that would do things like this. Some might scream for help, some might stay silent and panic, and some might run away from the situation and try to find a grown up.
Not Corbin.

There's the men that climbed the stairs when the planes hit the World Trade Centers.
The brave soldiers that are at war.
And then...there is Corbin.
A real blessing. He was a hero.






26 comments:
Corbin, You ROCK!!!!!!! Thanks for being a man!
What a fantastic story...my daily fix for today. And you are a great writer, Melissa, this belongs in the Readers Digest.
Hi Melissa, It's Penny from Louisiana! I cried the whole time reading this! I would have freaked if my little princess would have fallen in! I wish My Asiah had a Corbin here to protect her for the rest of her life. Her first day of school, the walk down the long halls of middle school and to protect her from bad boys in high school! This is such a happy ending! Take care Melissa! And congrats on your baby girl!
Melissa,
I cried through this entire story. I am so glad that your daughter is okay! ...and you are an amazing mother! Don't EVER forget that. In my thoughts and prayers,
Jennifer Hedges
Sweet, sweet and touching post! Way to go little man, way to go!!! I am glad your beautiful little girl is ok and safe and she is so blessed to have so many that love her. Love all the shots, especially the one of him warming her and cuddling with her. What a man already!!!
Wow, that made me cry too!! What an amazing story. So glad he was there! And no, you're not a bad mom! We all lose track of our kids sometimes. :)
Oh, this made me cry! Way to go Corbin. And I'm also glad that Liv is ok too.
Oh my, what would life be like without Livia?? Ever since Livia was born, she has been full of excitement and energy which is good, but this time it sounds like it was almost bad.
Thanks to our dear little grandson, Corbin, and his quick thinking and fast actions, he saved Livia. What a hero he is.
Our world needs more hero like Corbin.
WOW. I am so glad it all turned out all right!! She is so stinkn cute!! Corbin is now forever a hero. What a sweetie. If you ever need to drop Liv off here to play with Addi for a shoot or whatever- we would love it!
WOW. I am so glad it all turned out all right!! She is so stinkn cute!! Corbin is now forever a hero. What a sweetie. If you ever need to drop Liv off here to play with Addi for a shoot or whatever- we would love it!
Tears are streaming down my face. Hug Liv for me and tell Corbin his Aunt Erin is so proud of him.
oh man, how scarey! glad he was there to save her. i hate those "bad mom"moments!
Ahhhh...I feel like such an idiot not giving you an opportunity to tell me about such a scary experience you experienced yesterday. I talk all about myself. I am so glad you captured that moment and her face on camera...you and Liv will always be grateful remembering that experience. She looks even cuter with a distressed horrified look on her face sweet little Liv. And what a champ little Corbin was!
oh. my. hell.
my biggest fear. truly.
what a little hero in that corbin man. give liv a hug.
Good job, Corbin. I'm so glad he was there.
first off I cried the whole time, Because having 5 children of my own I so have some stories to tell you that for my sack will not share. He must have great parents to be such a brave kids. Im happy liv is good and love that you took a pic of her after. My kind of mom, its remembering the moment.
i'm actually tearing up. pregnancy hormones? who knows, but great story. thanks for sharing it. you're not a bad mom, that's totally something that would happen to me.
so you want to know what i'm havin eh? just found out. looks like we're both thinking pink! yep. i'm excited. it's strange to think of raising a girl, cause i only know boy for now. my hubby's freaking out. he doesn't know what to think. but he's excited/nervous too :O) can't wait to start buying pink. i've been looking forward to that since my neice was born!!!
i'm happy for you guys too. let me know when you decide on a name, or are ready to announce it. we are hoping to have something chosen very soon.
Oh sweet Liv. What a great sroty.
That is so dear.
That is the cutest thing EVER! Congrats on the little girl...it's so fun, and Liv will love having a baby around! Both my kids maul the baby when I put her down. I'm so excited for you guys!
Okay, I was actually tearing up reading your story!! So sad and so cute!! What a hero!! Glad to hear your bringing another beautiful baby girl into the world. You have mastered the skill, so why not do it again?? Hope you are feeling good and the belly is just adorable!!
No worries Melissa! I'm up there fighting to keep my bad mother award! Montana fell into that exact pond during our photo shoot! In her white dress to boot! What a great memory!
Melissa ~ Liv's picture just out of the water is the cutest thing I have ever seen! I want to just kiss her. I hate moments like this where you think they are missing, or really hurt, etc. I am so glad she is safe and just took a little dip. Corbin is so dang cute and probably will remember how he saved the day his entire life:) Congrats on the girls. I love it!
oh seriously...every mothers NIGHTMARE!! But I think when you are raising kids it's going to be impossible to not have some scary mom moments, we've all been there that's for sure! I'm glad everything was okay!! I wish I had your photo skills so bad...the pictures were ADORABLE..and yes I was almost in tears too, It will be good that you have it documented though...what a darling little boy that Corbin is!
I'm so glad she is okay, man what a scare! I love that pic of Liv it's so cute, way to capture the moment!
You're an amazing mom... And so are Corbin's parents! That's a wonderful story especially because the ending turned out so well. The picture of him holding Liv is priceless. Hope the pregnancy is going well!
Post a Comment