Special Delivery


The stork came to our home...and what a day it was...



Left Foot.  Right Foot.  Waddle left, waddle right. 

As I passed by the soft chenille, the fleece, and the linens, I couldn't help but ask myself why out of all days I chose JoAnne Fabrics as a time waster.  Especially when I looked over my shoulder to find Liv possessing the sudden urge to play baseball with huge hand fulls of spools-o-thread.  I didn't even care.  The bowling ball in my belly had my complete attention.  

I chose a couple of fabric pieces here and there for my various nesting projects and stood in the incredibly long line of ladies waiting for their yards of linens.  I was way out of place.  Martha Stewart and I could not be more polar opposite.  

Finally, it was my turn.

"Well this is cute fabric isn't it.  Whatcha' working on?"  I didn't answer the cute little lady that cuts in incredibly straight lines.  The smell of cotton and line of chatty women soon became muffled.  My heartbeat oh-so-harshly moved to my eardrum.  

What on earth was happening?  A conversation then carried on in my head, or maybe I spoke out loud.  I don't remember.  Oh dear.  Either I wet my pants, sat in Liv's Bug Juice in the car, or a mysterious liquid was running down my leg.  

"All righty, how much yardage?" the little gray-haired lady asked.

I'm pretty sure she noticed my wide-eyed confusion as I started to look down at my all white cargo pants.  

"Um, excuse ma'am, there's a long line.  How much yardage would you like?"

I looked up at her, leaned in closer, and asked her a simple question in what I thought was a whisper.  

"Uh, er, I have a question for you.  Have you ever had your water break?"

"Are you serious?  For real?  Oh geez!"

And just then, the line of Chatty-Patties suddenly fixed their attention to me.

"No way!"
"Can we take you to the hospital?"
"Stay calm!"
"Everything is fine!"
"Can we watch your child?"

I grabbed Liv's hand and headed towards the door, and instantly got my husband on the phone. I panicked.  He soothed.  And drove myself towards the hospital.  And that's when it hit me, my baby was coming.  And I cried like a child.

"It's okay mommy.  It's okay."  For once and probably not the last time, Liv was my comforter and a little more mature than me at the time.  I soon after called my brother and showed up on his door step, and thankfully, he drove me to the hospital.  

An epidural, one push, four hours, and many details later, my sweet little babe was born.  

 




I was emotional, and full of so much gratitude.  She was healthy, beautiful, and complete.  Another special little soul came to our home, and it was absolutely incredible.  


I'd like to introduce you to, 

Charli Mae Niu
July 2nd, 2009
7 lbs. 9 oz.
21 inches long














My sweet sister-in-law and brother, Brad and Erin, helped so much. And now to have my new sister-in-law Adrea there for the birth was so special. Thanks to all for the kind notes and phone calls. We couldn't be happier.

I truly love life.

49 comments:

Kim said...

CONGRATULATIONS Melissa, Phillip and Liv! Little Charli could not be any more precious.... what a true blessing! Hope you are all doing well and adjusting to life as a family of four. :) Hugs to you all!

Robins Family said...

Congratulations!!! Hey look at me making the first comment!! Melissa, you are so brave. Way to go! She is beautiful! I just have to say... I AM IN LOVE WITH THE NAME CHARLI!!! How stinking cute!

Brett and Diana Cooper said...

Awwwwwww...she is beautiful. I'm tearing up just looking at the pictures. What a special time for you guys. I hope mamma is doing well. Congratulations!

Emily C. said...

Oh I totally just teared-up reading your post! I was right there with ya sister! White cargo pants--of course, what else?! ;)

Way to go! You are both just so beautiful, Congrats, and looking forward to many more fine pics! I wish I could give little Charli a sniff and a snuggle!

Melinda said...

Congratulations!!! What a story!!! That will be a fun one to retell her every year.

She looks beautiful and i love Love your pictures.

birdbabies said...

wow, i must be pregnant...i cried from the moment you said your water broke :) beautifully put (mysterious liquid n' all) :) congrats Miss, she is beautiful!

Melissa said...

Congratulations Melis!! She is stunning.

Cheryl Ann Beeson said...

Melissa and Philip, I had heard that you had given birth and fought the utmost urges to call to see if it was true. I figured soon you would be posting pictures of her so I waited. She is absolutely beautiful, but beauty runs in your family. I will never forget the look on Phil's face when he puffed up telling us at the office that you were expecting. You guys are wonderful and I miss you all very much. Thanks for the update, I look forward to watching her grow in pictures. Please give Liv a hug from me.

Martha said...

Melissa, I'm so happy for you and your family!!! I remember when you frist told you were pregnant here. And so much has happened between then and now. I'd heard you had her, but kept checking here for pics. She truly is stunning! I love the first picture and you can just see how cute and tiny her little bum is :) Congrats to the whole Niu family - and Charli is an adorable name!!!

Kipn n' Sarah said...

Ok so you write like an author and I love reading every single story you tell. A bunch of the girls that are beating me at having thier kids have started labor with broken water. I can't wait for something like that to happen, even if it is in a craft store :)
Ok so if I remember correctly when I was talking to you before you found out what you were having, weren't you telling me that Liv wanted her baby to be named Charli? Just wondering if that was inspiration for her BEAUTIFUL name??
She is perfect, beautiful, and all your pictures are AMAZING!!! Congrats!!!!!!!
Just looking at these makes me so excited and curious to see my little lady, you wanna come down and take her pictures??? :)

Dave said...

Aunt Stormy and I can't wait to meet you, Charli Mae. Congratulations, Niu Family! Love, Uncle Dave

Natalie said...

Congratulations. I absolutely loved that story. Sweet little Liv, keeping it together for you. Charli is beautiful- just beautiful. We are so happy for you.

Jeff and Amy Barlow said...

YEA! Congrats to all of you. Charli is beauitful. And I love all her hair. But I do have to say that it's not fair how good YOU looked RIGHT after giving birth. I mean...are you kidding me? You don't even look pregnant...or 1/2 hour post pregnancy/delivery at that! Not fair at all!

Hopefully we'll be able to see you all soon! We'd love to meet the new addition!

xoxo,
Amy

Beverly said...

Ever since you were little you just wanted to be a mommy. You are certainly a mommy with family now. You and Philip have been blessed with two special girls now and you are doing amazing.

You and your brothers were my goal in life and I LOVE being your mommy!!!

Unknown said...

absolutely beautiful melissa. congrats to you both.

Heidi said...

Congratulations to your beautiful family!

Janet Fonoimoana said...

I love reading your blog, and this was an extra special treat! Beautiful story, beautiful photos, and beautiful family.
Aloha, Janet Fonoimoana (family friend from Laie/Sandy, Utah)

Melissa-Mc said...

Congratulations! She is perfect. I had my water break with 2 of mine and it really is an alarming experience.

Ang said...

Miss! I about got in a wreck when I read your text! Matt had to tell me how to drive. CAN NOT believe we were just talking the day before and you were like, "maybe in another week this babe will be born." Crazy! SO DANG happy for you girl. LOVE LOVE LOVE the name and she is of course another beauty. You look great. Good luck and enjoy every moment! Love ya.

Rachel Niu said...

Love the story Melissa. It definitely made me laugh ;-) Charlie Mae is adorable, has Liv-resemblances but is a whole new blend of Philip-Melissa beauty!

dynamike said...

I loved reading the details- what a great story. So glad you are all healthy and well. She is beautiful and so so sweet.

Love you guys!

Erin

Angie Judd said...

How on earth did I miss this????
CONGRATS!!!!! She is absolutely beautiful!

Hillary Garner said...

She is so beautiful! Congratulations! When can we come visit?

Erik & Marcie +3 said...

Congrats! She is absolutely beautiful. What a crazy story!! One to remember for sure. Love the name. I'm sure Liv is LOVING being a big sister. I hope you all get some rest!

Unknown said...

You don't know me but I wanted to say congrats! Love the name. We had Charlee on our list of names with our little one. I LOVE it! She's a doll.

The Harpers said...

Wow! She is beeeeeeautiful!!! Congratulations to the family of 4!

Amanda said...

You don't know me but I am Sarah Robinson's sister and a fan of your blog. Congrats on your beautiful little girl. She is stunning, and that is rare to find in a newborn!

Kris said...

Melissa, she is beautiful and I'm sure Liv is so happy to be a big sister. Thanks for making me laugh what a fun story (probably not at the time but fun one to tell later!) What beautiful pictures! You amaze me!

The Bornies said...

WOW! She is BEAUTIFUL!!! Congratulations you guys!!
Sonni Bornemeier

Becca B said...

she couldnt have picked a better day! Thats my birthday too! I am so happy everything went well. She is beautiful. congratulations!!!

Tina said...

Congrats, she is breathtakingly beautiful and fits perfect into your gorgeous family!

theniufamily said...

Oh my goodness I wish I could see her in person. She looks beautiful! I have wanted to call you all week but you can't talk on your phone while you drive in Hawaii now so I am left with no time to ever call anyone. But I will be calling this weekend for sure!!!

Erin Boyle said...

tears are streaming down my face. thank you so much for letting me be part of that beautiful day!

Becky said...

i couldn't believe it when your mom told me your water broke! you couldn't have planned it any better- now you will be up and ready for the wedding! she is beautiful! it is great being the photographer for the newborn stuff,huh! no waiting in lines while your child smiles and coes only to have it be feeding time by the time it is your turn in front of the camera!

The Richins Family said...

congrats. she is beautiful. i see a little liv in her and a good combination of you and philip. good job!

Anonymous said...

I've always wanted to talk to someone who's water broke in public!!!!! What a great story! At least you were in a "female" store and not in REI or something! Charli Mae is so beautiful! The pictures are spectacular!!!

Troy, Erin and baby Boston said...

What a great story! And what a beautiful baby girl! She's just precious. I'm glad you and baby are both healthy and happy :) I hope to see you all soon. CONGRATS!

Logan and Lisa said...

Congrats!!! That is so crazy that you didn't need to be induced and it just happened naturally and practically a month early. Lucky you! She is so beautiful and I am so happy for you guys.

Six Girls and One Boy said...

She's absolutely beautiful!! As I knew she would be. YOU are beautiful, Melissa. Your blog is one of my favorites to read and I just LOVE your little family. Can't wait to meet her!! Michele (I"m at my mom's!)

Jana said...

Congratulations!!! She is absolutely gorgeous and a gorgeous name to match.

Darcy said...

Melissa you are blessed with such a wonderful family. Congratulations on your new lil'Charli. Your girls are simply beautiful! I am so happy for you:)

Life with the Warrens said...

sorry it took so long to say "Congrats!" but there it is. she looks so beautiful. well, of course look at your whole family!

Joey and Michelle Chandler Family said...

I'm not sure why but I teared up while I was reading your sweet story. It must be the mother in me. She is beautiful and I love her name! Congratulations. By the way, you look way too good to have just had a baby in that hospital picture.

jessica said...

Oh Melissa, she's beautiful. Simply beautiful. I loved the story and all of the details. You always express yourself so amazing. Congratulations, I couldn't be happier for you.

Big Sister said...

Congratulations! She is beautiful! We are so happy for you guys:)

Paige said...

YYYEEAAAHHHH Oh I'm so glad she's finally here! and I think people's stories are so much fun when their water breaks somewhere...it makes it so much more dramatic. I haven't blogged for awhile so I'm sorry I'm late on the well wishes, but I'm so excited for you!! congrats

SPARKY said...

rykon and i had so much fun looking at the pics. he LOVES babies and ooh and ahhd and asked to see the pics over and over. his comments were "oh, she's so tute, and nice, and she's happy now."
congrats. thanks for sharing. hope you are doing well!!!!!

The Johnson Journey said...

Oh my goodness! Look at that beautiful baby! Those lips are so pretty!! Congrats you guys... it's quite an experience, and I love the story. You guys always have such wonderful stories. Enjoy!!

joelle said...

Congrats! She is darling! Can't expect much else from you and Philip. I love those photos. You are so talented!

Blog Archive