
....we would make it a summer tradition to head to Island Park. I'm so glad my mom scanned in these old-school pictures to compare the times and to juggle up some memories. (And to see the radical 80's fads, my mullet hair-do and extra short skivvies my brothers used to wear.)
But what's so fantastic about all of these pictures, is that besides the greenery growth, the cabin hasn't changed a bit. Every piece of furniture, wall covering, and even kitchenware is every bit the same as when my sweet Grandma Lola pieced it together years ago. THAT's why I love this place.
And now, my kiddos get to enjoy it just the same.
*Disclaimer*
Philip and I take full responsibility for Liv's appearance. We are trying to instill confidence and independence in our child. And these pictures are sheer proof.
She chooses her own outfits, her own accessories, and her own attitude every day. Boys underwear, holy jeans, dirty shirts, Grandpa Ray's old trucker hats, no shoes or large cowboy boots and riggity ratty hair. And we absolutely love her for it.







































As for me, I love this place. It's just like my own personal Old Faithful...I know exactly what to count on when we take this trip. The same cabin, the same dock, the same smells, even the same geysers and pit-stops that bring up so many childhood memories.
We all sooooooo needed this trip. Especially Philip. The fresh air mixed with fantastic company was a little dose of what the doctor ordered.









14 comments:
Not to burst your bubble, but I was not expecting the mothball smell when I went walking in!!!! What a great trip, I am so glad that Tom and I jumped in the car and were able to be with everyone for those few days.
Brad really took a bullet for us--getting rid of the mothballs before everyone else arrived. Thanks, Brad. You really did your duty and yes, it was a great weekend.
And Melissa, I loved your photos. I can't think of a better weekend Dad and I have spent together with you and Philip and the rest of our kids and the grandchildren. Thanks for recording another family gathering with such great photos and dialogue.
HHaaaaa!!!! okay brad, you're right....the mothballs did interrupt the fresh air i was used to. you smart alleck.
i love. that liv.
my favorite pic was of philip with the gee-tar on the boat. awesome.
Looks like so much fun! My favorite fashion statement of Liv's is the cowboy boots. I can't wait to see how she reacts when all her younger sister wants to wear is pink, lace, and frills :)
H Melissa,
Everybody looks great! My fave pic is the last one. You guys just look like awesome, happy parents with their little girl and then if you take a tiny look over, Phil is pushing the stroller...and you realize just how perfecly a second little one fits in the picture! I love it!
Trina
Hi Melissa and Phil!
first off really nice pictures. As for LIV i love her sense of style, sooo poly...you can tell. I loved her shirt with the union jack sleeves LOL def a polynesian thing to do, the queen no longer rules us, but we still love her and her flag to bits LOL. Looks like you had soo much fun!
First off, I just LOVE how you let your little girl be her own person! I acutally think her little totally non matching outfits make her cuter!!! She is so sweet and full of spunk and personality!
How is the new little lady doing?
Your trip looks like it was a blast and how cool to take a walk down memory lane with your new little family! Looks like it was a ton of fun for you all! Glad all is going well!
Thanks for taking me down memory lane!! I LOVE that place, too. Lots of my memories of the cabin are with your family! How lucky we are. I loved seeing grandma again. Thanks Melissa. You should write a book with your pictures. You're so good at it! Your baby is beautiful and I love Liv! She reminds me a little of McKenna as a little girl--never any lace or frills, always just herself. She's still that way. She can get ready faster than any teenage girl I've ever known! It's awesome.
Melissa-you captured it all perfectly. isn't it just so true and so awesome how much that place hasn't changed? it looks like you all a blast!
How fun! I love childhood places and memories like that. Great pics, and you look fantastic!! Your babies are so dang cute!
Hey Miss...it looks to me like Liv may be a chip off the old block..I have a picture of you at my cabin when you were ohh 13, 14 or so lookin pretty hot yourself!!! Ha! I love the pics of your family from long ago...you look a lot like your mom. Hope little Charli is doing good and you are getting more sleep. Love ya,
Kenz
oh I love all the retro stuff...that is such a blast to have it all still the same!! I love that you let Liv be herself...My mom always let me wear all the crazy cowboy boots (5 sizes too big) sweats with holes, unruly hairdo's...you name it I did it. I was never a girly girl but definitely gained confidence in who I was! now I just wish my mom had taken more pictures of all of it.
I need some advice...I'm wondering how you get the pictures on your blog to be so big. Is it a certain template? I choose "large" when I upload them, but they're never as big as yours. Just curious. Thanks
BTW Charly is adorable and getting big!
Sick Post! We have the same kind of cabin and set up. It was built when I was 1 and it has stayed the same as well. Great memeories for me and your post made me a little nastalgic. Thanks for sharing, Stone.
Post a Comment